Saturday, April 19, 2008

Boris Curatolo

I studied painting and drawing with José López Comenar in Madrid, Spain. In 1986, I obtained a scholarship from the Cooper Union School of Art in New York, where I completed a BFA with a concentration in sculpture in 1990. In 2006, I received an MA in Art Education from Teachers College, Columbia University. I have worked from my studio in Brooklyn since 1994.

My sculpture begins with an investigation of the physical properties of materials and the different ways they can be shaped, joined, combined or assembled. With this as a starting point, I find forms that express moods, gestures or concepts. I will often develop these forms through a series of variations, exploring different possibilities for their interaction and scale. My art is a constant reflection on the character of materials and the possibilities for their transformation into sculpture.

No comments: